Submitted by chief on 19 October, 2010 – 14:18
Get Ready for Winter Checklist
- Cleaned and inspected once a year
- Clean or replace filters once a month over winter
- Clean registers, vents and duct openings.
- Remove any combustible materials from the area.
- Check flue or chimney. Clean, or hire someone to clean them.
- Check insulation in basement and attic. Increasing attic insulation will make your home more energy efficient in winter and cooler in the summer.
- Cover any exposed pipes with insulation.
- Insulate water heater.
- Add weather stripping to doors and windows if needed.
- Insulate electrical outlets. There are kits available for this.
Gutters & Downspouts
- Inspect, clean out, and repair rain gutters and down spouts.
- Install gutter guards to keep gutters free of leaves and debris.
- Make sure gutter spouts drain away from the foundation.
Roof & Chimney
- Check that ridge vents are unobstructed.
- Check and repair or replace any missing, cracked, curled, broken or rotted shingles.
- Check the roof anywhere it is penetrated by a chimney, vent, dormer, or skylight. A metal flashing should protect each joint and each edge should be sealed with roof cement to prevent leaks.
- Install a screen-chimney cap to prevent birds or other critters from entering the chimney.
Windows & Doors
- Check every window (attic and basement, too) for cracks or broken glass.
- Check around windows and doors for drafts. Caulk or weather-strip as needed.
- Exterior doors need new doorstops if you can see light under them.
- Old drafty windows can be covered with heavy-duty, clear plastic.
- Clean and install storm windows.
- Install basement storm windows to reduce heat loss and prevent condensation.
- Check around pipes, dryer vents, or other places where cold air can enter your home. Caulk liberally with gun or trowel.
- Repair or replace loose and/or warped siding.
Decks, Patios, & Porches
- Apply an extra coat of waterproof sealant to wooden decks and porches.
- Inspect supports and foundations for separation or rot.
- Store or cover outdoor furniture, grills, and planters.
- Check lights and timers. Reset timers for earlier darkness.
- Turn off and drain sprinkling system.
- Drain, coil and store garden hoses.
- Turn off and drain faucets.